Tuesday, October 18, 2011

10/18/11 - Spelling!!

Today, I gave a speech regarding spelling. Now, spelling is important, but usually it doesn't merit a blog entry!

I have had a stretch of poor efforts from many students. Not all, of course, but more than usual. Here is what we discussed:

1. You need to ACTUALLY STUDY the words!
2. You need to use your best handwriting. I do not give the spelling test as a speed test, so there is plenty of time to take care to use good handwriting.
3. I myself enjoy drawing. I don't discourage drawing, but there is a time and place! NOT on the spelling paper!

The lists are available to the A, B, and C groups on Mondays. The D (dictionary) group gets their lists by Tuesday, occasionally Monday. The pretest is Monday, the final test is Friday, and there are 3 spelling worksheets that we do during the week. I usually get the tests back to the students the next Monday.

So, give them your best rah-rah speech or gentle reminder (depending on what works best!) about spelling, and we'll see if there is improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment